Friday, March 19, 2010

God on the Brain

I had just finished my previous post about 'Putting Things in Perspective', where I posted some pictures of the relative size of planets and stars, when I came across the following video. I listen to a lot of documentaries as I work at the computer and found this on fulldocumentaries.com ... although it turned out this was not really a documentary. Anyway, I thought it was strange because it starts out by showing the very images that I had just posted. What are the odds, considering this title has NOTHING to do with my previous post. As I quote again, 'life is infinitely stranger than anything the mind could invent'.

Jesus Christ: Above Church and Beyond Denominations


Well, the video is really long and I didn't really listen to it all because its mostly just people talking and kind of saying the same thing. But I do agree that Christians need to stop their squabblings and denominations and really follow and be like Christ. As Ghandi once said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I write this quote in sadness because I am a Christian, but I too agree with Ghandi in that the cultural Christianity that has developed especially in America is so far from the way that Christ showed us how to live. I'm far from being like Christ and I know that we are all at various stages in our spiritual journeys, but at least I know I need a lot of work. The thing that I think puts a lot of people off to Christianity is when Christians act like they have all the answers or are selective in their love for people, based on what they do or what their 'sins' are. The thing that I love about Jesus is that he always loved anyone and everyone... and thats the image of Christ that I want to be like.

The thing is that when I look at the pictures from my previous post, it really hits home to me just HOW MUCH I don't know. But it also makes me think about how it all got here... because even if it did start with a bang, all that energy had to come from somewhere - and so where did that energy come from? Actually, I think about this quite often. You could say I have God on the brain. I wouldn't say I'm a religious person and I think that religions have often done just as much harm as good in many ways, but I just find myself almost continually wondering about life, infinity, meaning, consciousness, and the nature of the universe and who God is.

The following is an interesting documentary I was watching earlier this week.

These people suffer from one of the strangest of all brain disorders. It makes them think they have been touched by god. But their unusual condition is giving scientists a unique insight into faith and the human mind. As a result researchers are now asking one of them most explosive questions of all - could it be that the physical makeup of our brain programmes us to believe in god? Or are our brains created in such a way to allow man to commune with God... are they receptors for understanding the supernatural?



Watch the rest here. I know this research is somewhat controversial, but I still find it interesting and I welcome any thoughts as long as it is in love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails